Posture and Ergonomics
Most postures can only be sustained for a short time, however we tend to sit and stand for long periods of time and certain postures can place increased pressures on discs and cause tightening of muscles. Poor posture is a very common cause of discomfort and dysfunction related to the neck shoulders and back.
Fine Form Physiotherapy Ryde are your experts in the assessment of posture and ergonomics and can assist in managing postural problems to help improve the quality of your life.
Role of physiotherapy
Muscle tightness, resulting from prolonged postures can lead to changes in pressure distribution over joint surfaces which may lead to degeneration. Poor prolonged posture will also result in weakening of postural muscles making it increasingly difficult to attain better posture.
The postural assessment service at Fine Form Physiotherapy involves our physiotherapist conducting a thorough assessment of the patient’s posture. This can include:
- detailed postural observation
- muscle length, strength and muscle control testing
- full joint assessment
- evaluation of functional tasks
Benefits of physiotherapy
The latest developments in physiotherapy research have recognised the importance of specific stabilising muscles such as transversus abdominis, multifidus, scapular stabilising muscles and the deep neck flexors on posture.
Treatment will usually involve:
- Hands on techniques to treat joint problems by specific joint mobilisation and manipulation.
- Strengthening and stretching exercise program
- Education on postural awareness at work, home and during recreation.
- Worksite visits to assess the patient’s working posture and physical demands of the job and to provide advice and modifications where necessary.
By seeking the advice and treatment of our physiotherapists in the management of postural conditions, patients can experience significant improvements in their pain and functional capacity and prevent recurrence of the problem.