What is a Gait Scan? The Gait scan is a type of technology our qualified Physiotherapists use at Fine Form Physiotherapy Ryde to analyse foot function. You will walk over a pressure-sensitive platform which is capable of assessing and showing in graphical detail the weight and pressure distribution of each foot that stood on or walked over the mat. By comparing the results of these scans against the ideal foot function we can determine if there are any problems with the way you walk or place your feet.
Why is it important to analyse your Gait?
Abnormalities in pressure and weight distribution in your foot can cause you many health problems, these are just a few of many:
- Achilles tendonitis
- Arch pain/Arch strain
- Heel pain
- Heel spur
- Flat feet
- Morton’s neuroma
- Shin splints
- Knee pain
- Hip pain
- Lower back pain
Do I need a Gait Scan?
If you agree with any of the statements below, a Gaitscan could be of great value to you.
- My feet are sore on a regular basis.
- I spend a good portion of my day standing or walking on hard surfaces.
- I play sport or attend the gym regularly.
- Standing, walking or running gives me joint pain (ankles, knees, hip or back).
- I have visible foot problems (bunions, fallen arches, corns, etc).
- One of my legs is shorter than the other.
- I have knock-knees or bow-legs.
- My shoes wear out quickly or unevenly.
- My parents had foot related symptoms.
What will custom orthotics do for me?
- Control, guide, limit and/or immobilise an extremity, joint or body segment for your particular situation
- Restrict movement in a given direction
- Assist movement generally
- Reduce weight bearing forces for a particular purpose
- Aid rehabilitation from fractures after the removal of a cast
- Correct the shape and/or function of the body, to provide easier movement capability or reduce pain.